The Process is Simple
You may have heard the news that the policies regarding California Concealed Firearm Licenses, also known as “CCW Permits”, have become less restrictive in a few counties and you’d like to know how to go about obtaining one. Without going into the history of the 9th Circuit Federal Court of Appeals case which provided the impetus for this change, you should understand that a few counties have relaxed their restrictions and Ventura County is one of them. Currently, one no longer has to prove “good cause” for desiring to obtain a permit through demonstrating for example: he or she has been violently threatened or attacked or that they work in a job where they transport large amounts of cash or merchandise. In fact, if a Ventura County resident (21 years or older) simply states their need is for “personal safety or self-defense”, they will currently satisfy the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office’s CCW policy. When granted, the applicant will be permitted to legally carry a loaded and concealed handgun in public within California, with the exception of a few restricted areas where firearms are not allowed. Some Ventura County residents have always desired to obtain a permit, but are still very hesitant to apply because they are worried the process is complex. It’s not complex and the following steps will guide you through it.
1. Go online and download and complete the standard California CCW application form BOF 4012 with the instruction packet from the Ventura County Sheriff’s (VCSO) website Click HERE.
2. Submit the completed application and paperwork ONLY by appointment by calling (805) 654-2371, Option 1. Appointments are available between the hours of 8:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. and 12:30 P.M. – 3:30 P.M. on Monday and Friday; or Tuesday from 8:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. The address for your appointment is:
Ventura County Sheriff’s Office–CCW Unit
1St Floor Sheriff’s Annex
800 S. Victoria Ave.
Ventura, CA 93009
3. Bring the requested documents demonstrating you are a current resident of Ventura County. Have your paperwork ready when you submit your application. You will pay an initial $20 in fees. You will also need to have your Live Scan fingerprinting done by the sheriff or a private Live Scan operator. The DOJ fee for the fingerprinting background check is $93. The Live Scan operator will also charge their rolling fee (around $25).
4. Someone will contact you from the VCSO to set your interview appointment.
5. Attend your appointment at the VCSO where an investigator will review your application and paperwork to make sure everything is completed and to see if any information needs clarifying.
6. Within 90 days of the initial application or within 30 days after return of your criminal background check from the DOJ (whichever is later), you will receive the VCSO’s determination as to whether your license is approved or denied. You will be instructed to complete the required CCW training by an approved VCSO approved trainer.
7. Sign up with an approved Training Provider and complete the CCW handgun course which can vary in length, but cannot exceed 16 hours and must be a minimum of 8 hours. This may be done up to 6 months BEFORE the application is approved. You DON’T have to wait for your license approval to take the class, but the VCSO does ask that you wait until you have at least filed the application and have an interview date.
8. Your Training Provider will mail your original course completion certificate to the VCSO within 5 days of completing the course. Once the document is received by the VCSO, you will be contacted to pay the final local fee of $80 and pick up your license at the VCSO.
Approved Training Providers are listed on the sheriff’s website and classes average between $200-$300. Research the firearms instructor teaching the course because not all classes provide the same quality of instruction. We can provide your approved training either by private appointment at your home or office in Ventura County or you can join us in Orange County for public classes. The bulk of your classroom training can even be done virtually through our online blended learning option. We’d love to show you why our classes are the best value and training experience in Southern California. Sign up today!